Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Goal #3 August: Exercise 3x per week

A new month, a new goal. Also, time to review the last one.

July's goal was to have fruit/veg/juice at breakfast every day in order to increase my fruit/veg intake. I'd have to say it went very well. There were maybe 4 or 5 days where I'd forget until mid- to late morning, but then I'd have a glass of juice and be on track again. Sometimes I'd just choose to have toast and coffee right away, figuring on a midmorning snack of a banana anyway. Like with June's water goal, I'm going to try to stay aware of this and keep it up. Like I said in my first goal-related post, hopefully by doing baby steps, I'll keep these goals as lifestyle changes.

I've put it off long enough - my goal for this month is more exercise. I know I should, but it's SO much easier to catch up on housework when Pumpkin is napping... or grab a book for some downtime... or flip on the telly in the evening. And it's not like the results are very immediate, so it's going to take a while to see/feel improvement, but that's why these meant to be longer-term, behavioral-change-y type goals.

So, here it is: I'm going to try to exercise at least three times each week, for at least 30 minutes. Now, that might not be 30 minutes in one chunk, but it'll need to be 30 minutes in that day to count. This could be an extra (and brisk) walk or an exercise video (picked up a couple a while ago at the dollar store...I mean the euro store [actually, the 2 Euro Store, but that's another post]) or my belly dance class (which I'll be starting again on Monday evening) or a little jogging/walking or other similar such activity. Now, I know some of you out there are very regular and impressive exercisers (and have run a marathon or more than one, some of you!!), but I'm not, so it's baby steps once again for me. I figure if I can get into the habit of 3x per week, then maybe after a while I can up it to 4... and then maybe 5, but we'll just have to see.

For now, it's at least 30 minutes in a day, at least 3 times a week. Once again, thank you for providing me a place to make a public announcement about my goal, 'cuz it sure as heck makes me feel more accountable for it!

No comments: