Thursday, August 31, 2006

All your gate are belong to us

I know I've mentioned before how impressed I am with Pumpkin's vocabulary. She speaks quite clearly and knows a LOT of words. She's also gotten quite good at stringing them together, even if it's not quite right.

Case in point: today I took down the gate at the bottom of our stairs, after I caught her almost climbing over it while almost falling off backwards and cracking her head on the floor. I figured the stairs were safer.

So I got out the special little wrench that came with the gate, loosened up the nuts holding it firmly against the wall, and took it down. Later on, while climbing the stairs, she started talking about the gate being gone. Then she looked puzzled for a second, looked up at me and said, "Momma use scissors. Gate. Unlock it." It took me a minute, but then I realized I had used a shiny silver tool to open something that wasn't open before. Not quite right, but, hey, I guess you gotta use the vocab you've got.

1 comment:

kittenpie said...

I LOVE when they use what they've got to describe what they really want to say.

Misterpie didn't understand the word "salt" pronounces through her full mouth one day, prompting a point and, "THAT WHITE STUFF THERE!"